Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Gold Leaf Among Jewels

I hunt reflections. Any painter will tell you that the colors in a reflection are richer and darker than they are in the landscape.  Last fall the lily ponds at Gibbs Gardens were surrounded by canopies of fall foliage and by reflection hunters. Photographers milled about, dreamily scanning the scenery, carefully placing a tripod, allowing each other the distance and quiet one would afford a pro golfer on the green.  We were all working off the same few ponds...but were we all looking for the same images? I wonder. It was a great day for reflection shots.

These two are from the same tourmaline-colored pond, shot almost one after the other. I have not done anything special to these colors...as you can see from the overexposed leaf tops on the floating mass. It looks like flakes of gold leaf floating up from the depths. I trust I'll learn a Photoshop chop or two one of these days that will allow me to tone down that glare.






No comments:

Post a Comment